Garden Bench

A bench I built for my sisters garden. This was made entirely with mortice and tenon joinery and glue, no fasteners of any kind. I built it mostly in weekends over the course of four months.

Completed on 04/03/2017.

Finished product first, with the rotten old bench it's replacing in the background.

I used pine from a local timber merchants for this project. It's probably not the best choice for outdoor furniture but I'm hoping the paint offers enough protection.

There were a lot of tenons needed in this one, I made them all on the table saw nibbling off material bit by bit. I should probably make a tenoning jig.

The mortices were all made with a forstner bit on my drill press.

I rounded the tenons over with a rasp and chisel.

One upright assembly.

Two upright assemblies!

The front and back seat frames are attached with mortice and tenons again.

The seat supports have dados which the seat slats will fit into.

The mortices for the seat supports are perpendicular to the board so I had to make this setup to ensure I got them straight.

Checking everything fits.

This is looking like a bench to me.

I wanted the back support at an angle so making these mortices straight was fairly fiddly. They don't look too bad here but up close they're pretty messy.

I was a bit of an idiot and ended up putting two mortices in the same place.

Another angle of the goof. It ended up not being a problem as the back support tenons didn't go deep enough to interfere with the armrest ones.

Looking good.

I added a bit of a roundover to the armrests with a rasp featuring my deluxe shop made handle.

Everything got three coats of outdoor wood paint rated for 5 years of protection.

The glue up needed some creative clamping solutions. The upright assemblies and seat frame were glued up seperately first. I'd left plenty of paint gaps at the joints so the glue would bond.

Uh oh, I glued one of the seat supports in backwards! I fixed this by handsawing off the extra material at one side of each dado on one of the seat supports, then glueing in a shim to fill the other side.

Here's one of those shims.

And with paint on. It's still more visible than I'd like, but I'm sure it'll only ever bother me.

I dropped this piece on a clamp which made this dent.

A few of the joints aren't super tight, and my painting leaves a bit to be desired.

But this little guy seems to like it.